Job Description and Duties
Each semester, the Department hires a limited number of undergraduate students for Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (UGTA) positions. These students are assigned to introductory and upper-division Economics courses offered by the Department of Economics (West Lafayette Campus). The positions can involve the following: grading, assisting with office hours, and providing review sessions. An UGTA position is paid hourly; the expectation is for a student to work a minimum of 4 hours per week with the possibility of working up to 9 hours per week occasionally. The pay is $7.50 per hour, and payment is made in 8 biweekly installments.
Requirements To Be Considered For Assistantship
- Admission into Upper Division Economics
- Overall GPA of at least 3.0 and a GPA of at least 3.5 across all Economics Courses
- Completion of at least three upper division Economics courses (including Econ 340)
- If the position involves an upper division course, you must have completed that course with at least an A- grade.
Courses Seeking UGTA (some or all of the following courses may need UGTA's in any given semester)
Econ 340 - Intermediate Microeconomics
Econ 352 - Intermediate Macroeconomics
Econ 360 - Econometrics
Econ 370 - International Trade
Econ 380 - Money and Banking
Econ 385 - Labor Economics
Econ 419 - Managerial Economics
Econ 451 - Game Theory
Econ 461 - Industrial Organization
Econ 471 - Behavioral Economics
- Print out the application form (link to PDF here)
- Complete all information requested on the application
- Drop off the application at Krannert 488: Economics Departmental Assistant Denise Wilson or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- When this semester's grades are posted, send a copy of your transcripts (unofficial is fine) to Denise Wilson at email@example.com
Fall Semester: Applications for the Fall semester will be accepted starting the week before finals week of the spring semester. The deadline for submissions is the week before classes start in the fall. TA assignments will be announced at the start of the fall semester. We will not consider any applications after the position(s) have been filled.
Spring Semester: We will begin to accept applications for Spring semester UGTA positionsthe week before exam week of the Fall semester. The deadline for submissions is the week before classes start. TA assignments will be announced at the start of the spring semester. We will not consider any applications after the position(s) have been filled.
If you have questions, please contact:
Denise Wilson, Departmental Assistant, Economics Department
Krannert Building, Room 488
West Lafayette, IN 47907
Phone: (765) 496-2008; Fax: (765) 494-9658