In support of Purdue University's express
purpose as a land-grant institution, to educate and serve the citizenry
of the State of Indiana, the mission of the Purdue ad hoc Task Force on
Citizenship Education is to advance initiatives that prepare students not
only for careers and jobs, but also equip those students with the knowledge,
skills and commitment, to be active and effective citizens.
This mission emphasizes:
1. Citizenship as a valued educational
2. Service-learning as a valued educational
3. Interdisciplinary cooperation as a
central means to facilitate these outcomes.
4. Awareness of alternative approaches
to citizenship, and of alternative forms of learning and understanding,
as evidence of informed, reflective scholarship
The core initiatives supporting this
1. Fostering of curricula opportunities
blending traditional academic practices with community service.
2. Development of mutually beneficial
partnerships with community-based agencies, area K-12 schools and corporate
or governmental entities.
3. Provision of a responsive forum for
discussion (by faculty, students, and the community) of concerns related to citizenship education and public service.
Find out more about who we are by looking
the mission statement, and make sure to visit our vision