Inclusion/Global Diversity and Gender
Dr. Ellen Ernst Kossek is an expert in managing new ways of working, work force diversity, multiculturalism, and international HRM toward enhancing workplace inclusion across and within cultures and countries. She has given keynotes to managers and the general public in Singapore, Australia, Portugal, Korea, Germany, Netherlands, Japan, the U.K., Spain, France, and many other countries. She currently serves as President of the Work-Family Researchers Network. She has also been elected President of the Gender and Diversity in Organizations Division of the National Academy of Management and a representative at large on the Board of Governors. She received the Academy of Management Gender and Diversity Division's Sage Scholarship Award in recognition of her contributions advancing research in many areas related to Gender and Diversity in Organizations. The award commended her you "for the rigor, breadth, depth and impact of her accumulated body of work." She has edited a book on Managing Diversity: Human Resource Strategies for Transforming the Workplace . She was one of a several North American scholars who was invited to participate in an international conference on global diversity in developing and developed countries that was sponsored by the Rockefeller Foundation in Bellagio, Italy. She is currently working on a paper on the implications of expatriate and local nationals cultural congruence for performance and leadership assessment and career derailment within and across national and organizational cultural contexts. Related publications are below.
Study Abroad Learning Opportunity in International HRM to France
Kossek, E. E. & Lobel, S. 1996. (Eds.), Managing Diversity: Human Resource Strategies for Transforming the Workplace.. Oxford, England: Blackwell. Includes Field Guide (ISBN 1-57718-128-X) of original cases to accompany text. Authored Book Chapters:
- "Transforming human resource systems to manage diversity: An introduction and orienting framework" (Ellen Ernst Kossek & Sharon Lobel) pp. 1-19.
- “Human resource strategies to support diversity in work and personal lifestyles: Beyond the "family friendly" organization" (Sharon Lobel & Ellen Ernst Kossek) pp. 221-244.
- "Managing diversity as a vehicle for culture change: Confronting monocultural dominance at IBM" (Ellen Ernst Kossek) InField Guide, pp. 49-67.
- "Adapting human resource systems to manage global diversity: The case of Amoco Production Company" (Ellen Ernst Kossek) In Field Guide, pp. 24-44.
Kossek, E. E. & Block, R. N. (Eds.) 2000. Managing Human Resources in the 21st Century: From Core Concepts to Strategic Choice. Cincinnati: Ohio: Southwestern/ITT Publishing.
Diversity related Authored Book Chapters/Teaching Modules: Human resource issues in managing diversity, Nkomo, S. & Kossek, E. E., pp. 9.1-9.22.
- Support of work/life integration: Cultural issues facing the employer, Kossek, E. E., pp.11.1-11.22. (Includes Work Life Strategy Board Game)
Referred Articles, Invited Chapters
- Kossek, E. and S. Pichler. 2006. EEO and the Management of Diversity. In Handbook of Human Resource Management. Oxford Press. P. Boxell, J. Purcell, & P. Wright, Editors. pp. 251-272.
- Kossek, Ellen Ernst, Lobel, S., Brown, J. 2006. Human resource strategies to manage work force diversity: Examining “the business case,” In A. M. Konrad, P. Prasad, & J. K. Pringle (Eds.), Handbook of Workplace Diversity. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, pp. 53-74.
- Roberts, K., Kossek, E. E., and Ozeki, C. 1998. Managing a global workforce: challenges, strategies & solutions. Academy of Management Executive, 12(4): 93-106.
- Ryan, A. & Kossek, E. 2008. Work-Life Policy Implementation: Breaking Down or Creating Barriers to Inclusiveness, Human Resource Management, 47(2): pp. 295-310.
- Lirio, P. Lee, M., Williams, M. Haugen, M. & Kossek, E. 2008. The Inclusion Challenge with Reduced-Load Professionals: The Role of the Manager . Human Resource Management, 47 (3): 443- 461
- Block, R., Malin, M., Kossek, E.,, Holt, A. 2006. The Legal and Administrative Context of Work and Family Policies in the U.S. Canada and the European Union. Managing the Work-Home Interface. Routledge, (F. Jones, Burke, R., Westman, M., Editors.
- Belman, D. R. & Kossek, E.E. 2006. Minority and Majority Truck owner-operators: Entrepreneur or galvanized employees?, InHuman Resource Strategies for the High Growth Entrepreneurial Firm. J. Tanksy, & R. Heneman & J. Tanksy, Eds., operators: Entrepreneur or galvanized employees." Information Age Publishing, Inc. Greenwich, Connecticut, pp. 189-222.
- Kossek, E., Meece, D. R., Barratt, P, Prince, E. 2005. U.S. Latino migrant farm workers: Managing Aculturative stress and conserving work-family resources.” In S. Poelmans (Ed.) pp. 47-70. International and Cross-Cultural Perspectives on Work and Family. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum Press.
- Kossek, E. E., Huber-Yoder, M., Castellino, D. Lerner, J. 1997. The working poor: Locked out of careers and the organizational mainstream? Academy of Management Executive. Issue on Careers in the Twenty-first Century, (Winter): 76-92.
- Kossek, E. E., Zonia, S. 1994. The effects of race and ethnicity on perceptions of human resource policies and climate regarding diversity. Journal of Business and Technical Communication, 8: 319- 334.
- Kossek, E., Zonia, S.C. and Young, W. 1996. The limitations of the power of organizational demography: Can diversity climate be enhanced in the absence of teamwork? In (M. Ruderman, M. Hughes-James, & S. Jackson, Eds.). Selected Research on Work Team Diversity. Greensboro, North Carolina: Center for Creative Leadership and Wash., D.C.: American Psychological Association, pp. 121-152. (Selection of best papers from a 1995 conference on diversity in work teams held at the Center for Creative Leadership.)
- Kossek, E. E., Zonia, S. 1993. Assessing diversity climate: A field study of reactions to employer efforts to promote diversity. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 14: 61-81. (Selected by Journal Editorial Board as Best Paper Award of 1993).