Google Scholar Page: http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=GWvpJ40AAAAJ&hl=en
Google Scholar Citations: 13,616
Awards, Fellowships, and Honors:
- Research Associate, National Bureau of Economic Research, 2017-present
- Referee of the Year Award, Review of Corporate Finance Studies, 2016.
- Winner of the William F. Sharpe Award for Scholarship in Financial Research - - Recognizing the best paper in the 2015 Volume of the Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis.
- Listed among the “Authors with the Most Citations to Their JFE Papers, 1974-2014”.
- Senior Fellow, Asian Bureau of Finance and Economics Research, 2014-present
- Best Paper Runner-Up for the BlackRock/Brennan Award (Review of Financial Studies), 2012.
- Faculty Fellow, Krannert School of Management, Purdue University, 2010.
- Research Fellow, Centre for Economic Policy Research, 2009-2016
- Nominated for the Brattle Prize, American Finance Association, 2007.
- Journal of Financial Economics All Star Paper Award for “The ultimate ownership of western European corporations” (with Larry H. P. Lang).
- Dean’s Award for Research Productivity, Owen Graduate School of Management, Vanderbilt University, 2006.
- Hirtle Callaghan Research Scholar Award, Vanderbilt University, 2005.
- Research Affiliate, Centre for Economic Policy Research, 2005-2009
- Research Associate, European Corporate Governance Institute, 2004-present
Special Issue Co-Editor:
- Journal of Corporate Finance, Special Issue on “Culture and Finance”
- Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, 2016-
- Financial Management, 2009-2014
- Review of Financial Studies, 2008-2011
- Banca Impresa Società, 2009-
- Rivista dei Dottori Commercialisti, 2009-
- International Journal of Corporate Governance, 2008-
Purdue University, Krannert School of Management:
- Hanna Chair in Entrepreneurship & Professor of Finance, 2011-
- Hanna Chair in Entrepreneurship & Associate Professor of Finance, 2007-2011
The University of Chicago, Booth School of Business:
- Visiting Professor of Finance, 2016-2017
Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management, Finance Department:
- Visiting Scholar, 2013-2014
Vanderbilt University, Owen Graduate School of Management:
- Associate Professor of Finance, 2006-2007
- Assistant Professor of Finance, 2003-2006
University of Notre Dame, Mendoza College of Business:
- Assistant Professor of Finance, 2001-2003
Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Milan:
- Assistant Professor of Finance, 1999-2002 (on leave 2001-2002)
“Taxes, capital structure choices, and equity value” (with Jin Xu), February 2017, forthcoming, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis.
“Politically Connected Private Equity and Employment” (with Hung-Chia “Scott” Hsu), Journal of Finance, April 2017, vol. 72(2), 539-573.
“CEO Gender, Corporate Risk-Taking, and the Efficiency of Capital Allocation” (with Maria-Teresa Marchica and Roberto Mura), Journal of Corporate Finance, August 2016, vol. 39, 193-209.
“Discussion of ‘Corporate Political Connections and Tax Aggressiveness’,” Contemporary Accounting Research, Spring 2016, vol. 33(1), 115-120.
- Lead article.
- William F. Sharpe Award for Scholarship in Financial Research - - Recognizing the best paper in the 2015 Volume of the JFQA.
“Sheltering corporate assets from political extraction” (with Lorenzo Caprio and John J. McConnell), The Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, April 2013, vol. 29(2), 332-354.
“Large shareholder diversification and corporate risk-taking” (with Maria-Teresa Marchica and Roberto Mura), Review of Financial Studies, November 2011, vol. 24(11), 3601-3641.
- BlackRock/Brennan Award - - Best Paper Runner Up (RFS).
"The quality of accounting information in politically connected firms" (with Paul K. Chaney and David C. Parsley), Journal of Accounting and Economics, February 2011, vol. 51(1-2), 58-76.
- Was listed in 2016 # 1 among the Most Cited Journal of Accounting and Economics Articles published since 2011.
“Differences between politically connected and non-connected firms: A cross country analysis”, Financial Management, Autumn 2010, vol. 39(3), 905-927.
- Lead article.
- Was a feature story in Il Sole 24 Ore (May 19, 2004; July 17, 2004), Milano Finanza (September 11, 2004), Italia Oggi (September 15, 2004), and Business Line (The Hindu) (October 10, 2006).
- Nominated for the Brattle Prize (best corporate finance paper published in the Journal of Finance).
“Expropriation vs. proportional sharing in corporate acquisitions” (with David Stolin), Journal of Business, vol. 79(3), May 2006, 1413-1444.
“Returns to acquirers of listed and unlisted targets” (with John J. McConnell and David Stolin), Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, vol. 41(1), March 2006, 197-220.
“The choice of payment method in European mergers and acquisitions” (with Ronald W. Masulis), Journal of Finance, vol. 60(3), June 2005, 1345-1388.
“The ultimate ownership of western European corporations” (with Larry H. P. Lang (郎咸平), Journal of Financial Economics, vol. 65(3), September 2002, 365-395.
“Do occupational pension funds monitor companies in which they hold large stakes?” (with Ameziane M. Lasfer), Journal of Corporate Finance, vol. 6(1), March 2000, 71-110.
Book Chapters, Review Articles, and Professional Publications:
“Culture and Finance: An Introduction” (with Raj Aggarwal, Omrane Guedhami, and Chuck C.Y. Kwok), Journal of Corporate Finance, December 2016, vol. 41, 466-474. (Introductory article for the JCF Special Issue on “Culture and Finance.”)
“Corporate response to distress: Evidence from the Asian financial crisis” (with Rajdeep Sengupta), Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis Review, March/April 2011, vol. 93(2), 127-154.
“Institutional shareholders and corporate governance: The case of UK pension funds” (with Ameziane M. Lasfer), in: Joseph A. McCahery, Piet Moerland, Theo Raaijmakers and Luc Renneboog (eds.), “Convergence and diversity in corporate governance regimes and capital markets”, Oxford University Press, 2002, 603-622.
“Pension fund investments and corporate monitoring” (with Ameziane M. Lasfer), Professional Investor, vol. 10(2), May 2000, 23-26.
NEW “Political determinants of competition in the mobile telecommunication industry” (with Luigi Zingales), April 2017.
- Featured in a Chicago Booth Review research comic: http://review.chicagobooth.edu/economics/2017/comic/could-government-lower-my-phone-bill-cbr-research-comic
NEW “Business Groups and Employment” (with Bill O’Brien), March 2017.
Resume: Full text vita in pdf format