“CEO Gender, Corporate Risk-Taking, and the Efficiency of Capital Allocation” (with Maria-Teresa Marchica and Roberto Mura), February 2016, forthcoming, Journal of Corporate Finance.
“Discussion of ‘Corporate Political Connections and Tax Aggressiveness’,” August 2015, forthcoming, Contemporary Accounting Research.
- Lead article.
“Sheltering corporate assets from political extraction” (with Lorenzo Caprio and John J. McConnell), The Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, April 2013, vol. 29(2), 332-354.
“Large shareholder diversification and corporate risk-taking” (with Maria-Teresa Marchica and Roberto Mura), Review of Financial Studies, November 2011, vol. 24(11), 3601-3641.
- BlackRock/Brennan Award - - Best Paper Runner Up (RFS).
"The quality of accounting information in politically connected firms" (with Paul K. Chaney and David C. Parsley), Journal of Accounting and Economics, February 2011, vol. 51(1-2), 58-76.
- Listed # 1 among the Most Cited Journal of Accounting and Economics Articles published since 2011 (http://www.journals.elsevier.com/journal-of-accounting-and-economics/most-cited-articles/).
“Differences between politically connected and non-connected firms: A cross country analysis”, Financial Management, Autumn 2010, vol. 39(3), 905-927.
- Lead article.
- Was a feature story in Il Sole 24 Ore (May 19, 2004; July 17, 2004), Milano Finanza (September 11, 2004), Italia Oggi (September 15, 2004), and Business Line (The Hindu) (October 10, 2006).
- Nominated for the Brattle Prize (best corporate finance paper published in the Journal of Finance).
“Expropriation vs. proportional sharing in corporate acquisitions” (with David Stolin), Journal of Business, vol. 79(3), May 2006, 1413-1444.
“Returns to acquirers of listed and unlisted targets” (with John J. McConnell and David Stolin), Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, vol. 41(1), March 2006, 197-220.
“The choice of payment method in European mergers and acquisitions” (with Ronald W. Masulis), Journal of Finance, vol. 60(3), June 2005, 1345-1388.
“The ultimate ownership of western European corporations” (with Larry H. P. Lang (郎咸平), Journal of Financial Economics, vol. 65(3), September 2002, 365-395.
“Do occupational pension funds monitor companies in which they hold large stakes?” (with Ameziane M. Lasfer), Journal of Corporate Finance, vol. 6(1), March 2000, 71-110.
Book Chapters and Professional Publications:
“Corporate response to distress: Evidence from the Asian financial crisis” (with Rajdeep Sengupta), Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis Review, March/April 2011, vol. 93(2), 127-154.
“Institutional shareholders and corporate governance: The case of UK pension funds” (with Ameziane M. Lasfer), in: Joseph A. McCahery, Piet Moerland, Theo Raaijmakers and Luc Renneboog (eds.), “Convergence and diversity in corporate governance regimes and capital markets”, Oxford University Press, 2002, 603-622.
“Pension fund investments and corporate monitoring” (with Ameziane M. Lasfer), Professional Investor, vol. 10(2), May 2000, 23-26.
NEW! “Politically Connected Private Equity and Employment” (with Hung-Chia “Scott” Hsu), June 2015.
NEW! “Business Groups and Employment” (with Bill O’Brien), June 2015.
NEW! “Taxes, capital structure choices, and firm value” (with Jin Xu), June 2015.
Resume: Full text vita in pdf format
Ownership data on-line:
- Athens Stock Exchange (Greece)
- Brussels Stock Exchange (Belgium)
- Bucharest Stock Exchange (Romania)
- Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht (Germany)
- Comision Nacional del Mercado de Valores (Spain)
- Commerzbank (Germany)
- Consob (Italy)
- Datex (New Zealand)
- Digital Look (United Kingdom)
- East Asia (data used in Claessens, Djankov and Lang, JFE paper)
- Euronext (Belgium, France, the Netherlands)
- Helsinki Media Blue Book (Finland)
- Hemscott (Ireland & the United Kingdom)
- Hugin (Finland, Sweden, Norway and some other markets)
- Istanbul Stock Exchange (Turkey)
- Ljubljana Stock Exchange (Slovenia)
- Oslo Stock Exchange (Norway)
- Paris Stock Exchange (France)
- Polish SEC (Poland)
- Riga Stock Exchange (Latvia)
- Santiago Stock Exchange (Chile)
- Tallinn Stock Exchange (Estonia)
- Toronto Stock Exchange (Canada)
- Toyo Keizai Shanposha (Japan)
- Western Europe (data used in my JFE paper)
- Very often, the stock exchanges supervisory authorities or the stock exchanges themselves have ownership data and will provide it for free (upon request, of course). Go to the World Federation of Exchanges web page for links to their web pages.
Journals, working papers, etc:
- Visit economics, business and management journals’ web sites at Elsevier
- Visit the worldwide directory of finance faculty at Ohio State
An excellent source for working papers is the Social Science Research Network
· Ferrari web page (don’t visit this site if you do not like pushing on the gas pedal!)
· Juventus web page (the greatest soccer team ever!)
· Bruce Springsteen (could I forget the Boss?!)