GE CEO Shares Leadership Tips
GE Chairman and CEO Jeffrey Immelt and Purdue President Mitch Daniels sat down recently on Purdue’s campus to discuss how the company and the university can work together on global problems. The talk, “Meeting Our Challenges: A Conversation” covered many diverse topics including innovation, talent, business initiatives, competition and a developing a global culture. When asked, Mr. Immelt shared his advice for students on becoming better leaders for tomorrow.
- Pick a domain you want to do great at. Be deep and broad.
- The best careers today are built deep then broad. Make sure to pick a domain, stick with it for awhile and be good at it.
- No matter where you work, pick the area that best represents change/interest inside the company (big inititatives)
- Have a good boss. They will teach you good work habits.
- Manage your time well. Do 100% of your job in 80% of the time. Have great time management and discipline.
- Take personal risks because you have a good education.
Mr. Immelt has been named one of the “World’s Best CEOs” three times by Barron’s.
Watch the full engaging interview from the West Lafayette campus.