Assistant Professor of Management
Management Information Systems
The University of Arizona, Ph.D. in Economics
Shanghai University of Finance and Economics, M.A. in Economics
Shanghai Jiao Tong University, B.A. in Economics
- Lu, K., Wei, Z., & Chan, T. (2022). Information Asymmetry among Investors and Strategic Bidding in Peer-to-Peer Lending. Information Systems Research, vol. 33 (3), 824-845. | Related Website |
- Alyakoob, M., Rahman, M., & Wei, Z. (2021). Where You Live Matters: Local Bank Competition, Online Marketplace Lending, and Disparity in Borrower Benefits. Information Systems Research, vol. 32 (4), 1390-1411. | Related Website |
- Wei, Z., Xiao, M., & Rong, R. (2021). Network Size and Content Generation on Social Media Platforms. Production and Operations Management, vol. 30 (5), 1406-1426. | Related Website |
- Liu, X., Wei, Z., & Xiao, M. (2020). Platform Mispricing and Lender Learning in Peer-to-Peer Lending. Review of Industrial Organization, vol. 56 (2), 281-314. | Related Website |
- Wang, Y., Goes, P., Wei, Z., & Zeng, D. (2019). Production of Online Word-of-Mouth: Peer Effects and the Moderation of User Characteristics. Production and Operations Management, vol. 28 (7), 1621-1640. | Related Website |
- Wei, Z. & Lin, M. (2017). Market Mechanisms in Online Peer-to-Peer Lending. Management Science, vol. 63 (12), 4236-4257. | Related Website |
- Chen, W., Wei, Z., & Xie, K. (2022). Regulating Professional Players in Peer-to-Peer Markets: Evidence from Airbnb. Management Science, | Related Website |
- Chen, W., Wei, Z., & Xie, K. (2022). The Battle for Homes: How Does Home Sharing Disrupt Local Residential Markets?. Management Science, | Related Website |
- Lin, M., Sias, R., & Wei, Z. (2022). Experts vs. Non-Experts in Online Crowdfunding Markets. MIS Quarterly, | Related Website |
Short-Term Rentals Make Housing Less Affordable
The rapid expansion of short-term rental platforms (or STRs) has raised concerns among legislators seeking to regulate companies like Airbnb, a leading online hosting platform at the forefront of conversations surrounding the short-term rental market.
What Does Airbnb Do to the Local Housing Market? Make It Less Affordable
Home-sharing platforms, particularly Airbnb, have enjoyed tremendous growth over the last decade, as property owners have capitalized on the opportunity to offer rooms, apartments and entire homes to travelers seeking short-term rentals. The proliferation of Airbnb properties has sparked criticism that Airbnb hosts are snatching up homes that would otherwise be listed in the residential rental or housing market, thus reducing supply and driving up prices.
Research shows disparity in borrower benefits between local banks and online lenders
The proliferation of online marketplace lending has been disrupting the consumer credit market, giving borrowers increased options for consolidating debt and building credit. Although marketplace lenders like the Lending Club, Prosper and others can transcend the geographic boundaries of traditional banks, the ultimate benefits to marketplace borrowers can still differ because local opportunities to replace marketplace loans vary.
Awards Announced in MSI Research Grant Competition
The Marketing Science Institute (MSI) recently announced 15 winners in the 2018-2020 Research Priorities Research Grant Competition. Launched in 2018 to seed research pertaining to MSI’s research priorities, the competition drew 74 submissions from leading researchers on topics including consumer trust, digital ads, privacy, AI, and machine learning. Among the winners was a proposal titled "Regulating Professional Players on Peer-to-Peer Platforms: Evidence from Airbnb" that was co-authored by Prof. Zaiyan Wei from the Purdue University Krannert School of Management.
Technologies Disruption of Markets
Zaiyan Wei discusses emergence of financial technologies and how they disrupt financial markets
It should come as no surprise that online product reviews correlate closely with purchasing decisions and sales, making them increasingly important to the bottom line of companies with online retailing platforms. However, what is the incentive for individual consumers who post their feedback and opinions on products?
Professor Zaiyan Wei discusses his research on online reviews and the correlation to sales with Krannert Dean David Hummels.
2022, Runner-Up for the Best Paper Award, CIST
2022, Krannert STAR Supplement Grant
2022, Krannert Faculty Fellow Award
2022, INFORMS Information Systems Society Sandy Slaughter Early Career Award
2020, Management Science Meritorious Service Award
2019, Marketing Science Institute (MSI) Grant
2018, Best Paper Runner-Up, 12th CSWIM
2017, Nominee for the Best Reviewer Award, 11th CSWIM
2017, Best Paper Award, 11th China Summer Workshop on Information Management (CSWIM)
2016, Purdue Research Foundation (PRF) Grant
2015, Nominee for the Best Paper Award, Conference on Information Systems and Technology (CIST)
Chair of the FinTech Cluster in 2022 INFORMS Annual Meeting (2022)
Co-Chair of 2022 Conference on Information Systems and Technology (CIST) (2022)
Financial Technologies (FinTech) Committee (2021)
MBA/Weekend MBA Committee (2019 - 2020)
Digital Footprint Committee (2018)
Faculty Recruiting Committee (2017, 2022)
Graduate Club Oversight Committee (2017)
PhD Admission Committee (2015 - 2017)
- MGMT 38200 (Fall 2015, Spring 2017 - 2022, Summer 2022)
- MGMT 58800 (Spring 2017 - 2022)
- MGMT 69000 (Fall 2015, 2017, Spring 2020, 2022)