Assistant Professor of Management
Management Information Systems
Ph.D. in Economics, The University of Arizona
M.A. in Economics, Shanghai University of Finance and Economics
B.A. in Economics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Alyakoob, M., Rahman, M., & Wei, Z. (2021). Where You Live Matters: Local Bank Competition, Online Marketplace Lending, and Disparity in Borrower Benefits. Information Systems Research, vol. 32 (4), 1390-1411. | Related Website |
- Wei, Z., Xiao, M., & Rong, R. (2021). Network Size and Content Generation on Social Media Platforms. Production and Operations Management, vol. 30 (5), 1406-1426. | Related Website |
- Liu, X., Wei, Z., & Xiao, M. (2020). Platform Mispricing and Lender Learning in Peer-to-Peer Lending. Review of Industrial Organization, vol. 56 (2), 281-314. | Related Website |
- Wang, Y., Goes, P., Wei, Z., & Zeng, D. (2019). Production of Online Word-of-Mouth: Peer Effects and the Moderation of User Characteristics. Production and Operations Management, vol. 28 (7), 1621-1640. | Related Website |
- Wei, Z. & Lin, M. (2017). Market Mechanisms in Online Peer-to-Peer Lending. Management Science, vol. 63 (12), 4236-4257. | Related Website |
- Chen, W., Wei, Z., & Xie, K. (2022). The Battle for Homes: How Does Home Sharing Disrupt Local Residential Markets?. Management Science, | Related Website |
- Chen, W., Wei, Z., & Xie, K. (2021). Regulating Professional Players in Peer-to-Peer Markets: Evidence from Airbnb. Management Science, | Related Website |
- Lu, K., Wei, Z., & Chan, T. (2021). Information Asymmetry among Investors and Strategic Bidding in Peer-to-Peer Lending. Information Systems Research, | Related Website |
What Does Airbnb Do to the Local Housing Market? Make It Less Affordable
Home-sharing platforms, particularly Airbnb, have enjoyed tremendous growth over the last decade, as property owners have capitalized on the opportunity to offer rooms, apartments and entire homes to travelers seeking short-term rentals. The proliferation of Airbnb properties has sparked criticism that Airbnb hosts are snatching up homes that would otherwise be listed in the residential rental or housing market, thus reducing supply and driving up prices.
Research shows disparity in borrower benefits between local banks and online lenders
The proliferation of online marketplace lending has been disrupting the consumer credit market, giving borrowers increased options for consolidating debt and building credit. Although marketplace lenders like the Lending Club, Prosper and others can transcend the geographic boundaries of traditional banks, the ultimate benefits to marketplace borrowers can still differ because local opportunities to replace marketplace loans vary.
Awards Announced in MSI Research Grant Competition
The Marketing Science Institute (MSI) recently announced 15 winners in the 2018-2020 Research Priorities Research Grant Competition. Launched in 2018 to seed research pertaining to MSI’s research priorities, the competition drew 74 submissions from leading researchers on topics including consumer trust, digital ads, privacy, AI, and machine learning. Among the winners was a proposal titled "Regulating Professional Players on Peer-to-Peer Platforms: Evidence from Airbnb" that was co-authored by Prof. Zaiyan Wei from the Purdue University Krannert School of Management.
Technologies Disruption of Markets
Zaiyan Wei discusses emergence of financial technologies and how they disrupt financial markets
It should come as no surprise that online product reviews correlate closely with purchasing decisions and sales, making them increasingly important to the bottom line of companies with online retailing platforms. However, what is the incentive for individual consumers who post their feedback and opinions on products?
Professor Zaiyan Wei discusses his research on online reviews and the correlation to sales with Krannert Dean David Hummels.