What are the prerequisites for this program?
The Technical Management Institute, or TMI, is geared towards individuals with a technical background but is open to anyone interested in professional development who would benefit from courses on project and personnel management, strategy, business analysis and more. There is no minimum number of years a TMI participant must have worked in a technical field, and an undergraduate degree is not required.
How do I know I’ll benefit from this program?
TMI allows you to network and share ideas with individuals from a variety of professions. You will be introduced to many tools and techniques that you can apply immediately when you return to work. This four-day program packs a lot of skills and knowledge into a short time period. The program begins and ends with “bookends” – sessions in which you, first, develop personal goals and expectations, and finally, create a plan for using what you’ve learned in TMI.
Can I take this program online?
While TMI makes use of online learning, this program is hosted on Purdue's West Lafayette campus. We believe there are great benefits to gathering with fellow professionals and learning together in a classroom setting.
What is included in the program fee?
- Instruction from top faculty
- Class materials
- Breakfast and lunch each day
- Networking reception
- Campus parking pass
Lodging is not included in the TMI fee. TMI participants typically lodge in Purdue's Union Club Hotel, conveniently located across the street from Krannert Center. Contact the Union directly to make reservations; ask for the TMI block.
What will I learn/gain from taking this program?
The goals of the program are to:
- Help you understand the management of business costs and the dynamics of cross-functional project management;
- Aid the translation of business objectives for the technical workforce and help you to establish a bottom-line emphasis;
- Provide current perspectives on leadership and project management in the technical arena; and
- Expose you to the business objectives and technical applications of leading improvement processes.
For more help in deciding if TMI is right for you, reach out to program manager Jennifer Applebee at 765-494-1554 or email@example.com.