The Golden Age of Sports Analytics
Thursday, February 23, 2017
Sports Analytics expert Dr. Dave Schrader will present a talk "The Golden Age of Sports Analytics" on-Thursday, February 23rd from 3-4:15pm in the Krannert Auditorium to Professor Lanham's Data Mining students and his invited guests. Topics will include:-
- What's happening around the world to collect and analyze data for recruiting, player development, game planning, and injury prevention?-
- How are analytics being used to improve business operations - ticket pricing, sales, and sponsorships?-
- What analytics do leading pro teams and leagues use for basketball, baseball, football, and soccer? How quickly are analytics being adopted? Who- is leading? What are they doing?
- How do analytic techniques used in business apply to sports? Where are there gaps? What are interesting research problems in sports analytics?-
- How can other parts of the university, like the business school or stats or computer science departments, collaborate with sports programs to provide- analytics for teams? What are good first projects to launch?
- Could we do "Moneyball at Purdue"? What have other universities done?-
"Dr. Dave" retired after 30 years of industry experience at high-tech database companies and stayed on the Board of Directors for the Teradata University Network, the sponsor of- this talk. He gave more than 45 talks last year at 20 schools in the USA and Germany to more than 2700 students, faculty, and coaches. He was a Purdue's School of Science Distinguished Graduate in 2004, and earned a Ph.D. in Computer Science from Purdue.-