Skip to Content
Purdue Krannert School of Management logo

Requesting an Increase in Your Academic Load

According to university policy, students who wish to take credit hours in excess of 18 (fall/spring semesters) or 9 (summer semester) must have approval from their college.

If you’d like to request an override for more than 18 (fall/spring) or 9 (summer) hours, you’ll need to discuss this with your academic advisor. Please note, your override for a credit increase will not be granted if your record contains any of the below:

  1. Withdrew (noted with a W on the transcript) or received an Incomplete (noted with an I on the transcript) from a class in the preceding semester (not including summer terms).

  2. Grade of D or F in the preceding semester (not including summer terms).

  3. Re-taking any classes (exceptions may be considered if the student is in their final semester).

  4. No prior PU GPA established (new transfer student).

  5. Cumulative GPA is less than 3.00 with more than one semester of coursework remaining.

  6. Prior credit loads (less than 17 for Fall/Spring or 9 for the summer) do not demonstrate ability to handle an increased load with a 3.0 term GPA or better.

  7. Plans to be overly involved in other activities (work or otherwise) exceeding 15 hours.

  8. Trying to catch up or graduate with additional majors/minors/concentrations in 4 years.

  9. On academic probation.