When Donald Trump defeated Hillary Clinton in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, many voters and political pundits were surprised by the outcome. But the campaign strategies used by the opposing candidates were entirely predictable, says Karthik Kannan, a professor at the Purdue University Krannert School of Management and an expert in big data who studies systems that exploit instincts and biases to nudge human behavior.
Women's career equality and leadership in organizations
Research on women's career equality and leadership is growing in importance. Despite the increased attention being paid to gender equality for decades, progression has slowed or stalled around the globe, in many countries, such as United States.
A work patch for better nursing home care
Placing a loved one in a nursing home can be a traumatic experience for the entire family with concerns about the care and attention they will receive. Imagine if those concerns were eased, simply by some changes in the way the schedules are done for the staff at that facility.
Factories Tire of Wage Wars; Give Fridays Off, Spiff Up Bathrooms
Five years ago, entry-level candidates could expect to earn nine bucks an hour at a Haworth Inc. office-furniture factory. The economy was humming, but job growth was choppy, and wage gains anemic. Read on as Krannert professor Ellen Kossek gives her two cents about work-life balance.
- Sep 17Fall 2019 Faculty meetingFall Faculty meetings: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 9:00 – 10:30 a.m. KRAN Auditorium (Faculty social hour to follow in drawing room)
- Sep 17KPDC Fall 2019 Workshop Series: Interviewing with SkillKrannert Professional Development Center Fall 2019 Workshop Series
- Sep 17STAMINA4 IT/Analytics Case Release ($10,000 Total Prize Money Competition)STAMINA4 IT/Analytics Case Competition
- Sep 18Krannert Professional Development Center Fall 2019 Workshop Series: Cultural Differences - Your HomeKrannert Professional Development Center Fall 2019 Workshop Series
- Sep 19INDY BIG DATA CONFERENCEIndy Big Data Conference
- Sep 19Leadership Speakers Series - As Long As You're Asking - A Conversation with Jason AlexanderThis unique event celebrates Krannert outstanding alumni and honors the Boiler Business Exchange Hall of Fame inductees. “As Long As You're Asking – A Conversation with Jason Alexander” is an evening of comedy, music and conversation with the award-winning star of stage and screen in which the audience determines what they want to know the most. Alexander will present a variety of topics for the audience to pick and choose, culminating in behind the scenes stories of his life, career, and social activism. Specially priced tickets available for Faculty, Staff, and Students.
- Sep 19Krannert Leadership Speakers Series with Jason Alexander“As Long As You're Asking – A Conversation with Jason Alexander” is an evening of comedy, music and conversation with the award-winning star of stage and screen in which the audience determines what they want to know the most.
- Sep 20Supply Chain and Operations Management Seminar 9/20/19Please join us and Dr. Yuqian Xu, Professor of Operations Management, Gies College of Business, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, presents "Operational Risk Management: Empirical Investigation and Optimal Control."